Friday, December 18, 2009

I Want To Be Left Behind Featured on Seattle's NPR


 Photo by Mukumbura

To join in the celebration of Hanukkah’s Festival of Lights, the winter Solstice return of the sunlight, and Christmas, I recorded this week a holiday commentary for our beloved local NPR station, KUOW, for “KUOW Presents” with gracious host, Megan Sukys. Called “Night of Miracles,” this story is taken from my new book, I Want To Be Left Behind: Finding Rapture Here on Earth (DaCapo, Feb. 2010)

Here’s the beginning paragraph and then you can listen to the rest at the link: “When I was fifteen our church youth choir carried our Christmas treats and our singing to St. Elizabeth’s mental institution in Washington, D.C. The complex cantata we had practiced all fall was called “Night of Miracles,” and in addition to my mother’s piano accompaniment, our performance would be lifted by the choir’s diva, Mrs. Helena Simmer. Her rich, dark mezzo-soprano voice was reason enough to go to church . . .”

Brenda Peterson's commentary on Seattle's NPR produced by Megan Sukys

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment